The Christian Church (DOC) was founded in the early 1800’s in the United States. Seeking to move beyond denominational disagreements, the founders envisioned only one Christian Church modeled on the New Testament. They were committed to ecumenism and Christian Higher Education.
The First Christian Church (DOC) McAllen traces its roots to September 15, 1914, when Mrs. Grace McDaniel invited several ladies to her home for the purpose of forming a Ladies Aid Society. That association and the fervor of the members led to the establishment of the First Christian Church (DOC) McAllen. Determination and perseverance characteristic of the efforts of the early day founders of the church have carried over to this day.
During the early 1900’s there was a strong sense of interdependence between the various churches in the Valley. The members of First Christian Church capitalized on that interdependence to raise funds, buy property and build the first church, which was erected in one day on February 14, 1917.
The church today continues the spirit of cooperation among all churches, as it also continues to display the strong characteristics of independence which was a basic heritage of the early church established as an American frontier church.
Our always forward thinking church moved to a new location and built a larger church in the 1920s to accomidate the growing congregation of worshipers. The building now is being used as an event center.
Again, the churche's progress marches on and the post war era brought a huge number of families wanting to worship at First Christian Church (DOC) of McAllen. In 1957 they moved to the big church on Nyssa and 10th Avenue, in McAllen. It is estimated the new church could accomodate 1000 people and often did.
Then as the years passed and the families grew up and the generations passed on the memories of First Christian, it was decided by the congregation that the big church was to much expense and unnecessary space and needed to be sold. It was with heavy heart that the congregation moved on. The new church was dedicated in 2016.
After enduring the pandemic of 2020 - 2022 the work of rebuilding the congregation on the same spirit of cooperation among all churches, as it also continues to display the strong characteristics of independence which was a basic heritage of the early church established as an American frontier church.
May 8, 2023